Monday, April 19, 2010

Something Near And Dear To My Heart

Quite some time ago I heard that there was going to be the very first Relay For Life, right here on my island.I was so excited,and wanted to find out all I could about it.I knew I had to be a part of it one way or another.I started asking some of my friends if they'd be interested in being on a team with me and everyone jumped at the chance.It wasn't long before I had a team and many others waiting to see if they could join my team.

Cancer was something that other people dealt with in their families,not me.Well in the fall of 2003 my dad started having some back problems which wasn't something new to him.He came in from fishing and decided he'd rest and maybe call a chiropractor later on.Not many days after,he couldn't walk.He was flown out to a larger hospital where we found out that he had a malignant tumor on his spine,which had originated in his kidney.My dad was given 18 mths roughly to live.He made it 15,but he never walked again.The Cancer Society was so good to my family during dad's illness.They were quick to set up an account for help with travel and medications that weren't covered by his insurance.I knew right then if I could help in any way to assist another family dealing with cancer, I would.

Now I am proud to be the captain of the White Head Walking Hotties...........I did not pick the name however......LOL.

We have already raised well over $2000 in on-line pledges alone.I am truly overwhelmed by the response.I could scarcely believe my eyes when the pledges kept pouring in.I have great family and friends.

If you would like to donate towards our team and such an awesome cause,please feel free to click on the link,that I will give at the bottom.You can also check and see if there may be a relay going on in your area to participate in.It will be great fun and for a worthy cause.

To donate click............The White Head Walking Hotties

3 comments:

Nicole Nowosad said...

It is a great cause.. and I have donated a few hours ago actually!!!! :)

Vanessa said...

I can see why it would be near & dear to your heart..it is a wonderful cause to devote your time to!!!

JennC said...

Cancer knows no age, race, or sex and can really put a strain on any family. I think it is wonderful to give yourself to such a great cause!! {HUG}